Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A good year for the roses.

White Rose
6"x6" acrylic on hardboard panel
collection of Reynolds and Sunny Maxwell

So, so much fun to do. Inspired by my most recent trip to Duke Gardens, and by M Collier's most recent post, which started me thinking about how much fun a white rose would be to paint.... I set the challenge for myself of managing it entirely in phthalo blue, permanent violet dark, indian yellow, and white- yes, even the background- and I think it contributed a lot to the unity of the piece, and to the overall luminescence- I had to resort to layers and layers of the thinnest glazes just to make sure it wasn't horribly discordant!

But it came together really well, and I thank my lucky stars I live in the age of easy, digital photography, where a picture can reinforace a sketch and a memory and reassure you that yes, that unexpected shadow really is in the right place and yes, white really is that white, but only in those specific little areas....

Happy tonight. Hope you are too :)
#253

No comments:

Post a Comment