Monday, September 27, 2010

Broken Shell

6"x8"
Back to the ocean!
I think this is my first attempt at rendering wood, and I know this is my first time showing a really weathered shell like this... and I love it! When conch shells break and reveal more of their interior structure, there's something really beautiful and minimalist about them, and really familiar, like bone or something with the graceful curves. And then of course with an imperfect shell it's no longer something that a tourist went and bought at some oceanside strip mall that was imported from Indonesia or something, it's something personal, that has a history, both in the ocean and as a discovery, and then as a painting subject as well. Beautiful.
#999

1 comment:

  1. I know you will be getting quite a few words of congratulations tomorrow for posting 100, so I thought I would send - job well done- one day early. You blog is fabulous. Great work!

    ReplyDelete