Thursday, June 19, 2008

Fossils

Considering it was just yesterday I was complaining about a distinct lack of black or white paint in my studio, and since I certainly don't have time on weekdays to run to Raleigh for art supplies, this may seem an odd choice. Unless, of course, you're in my head. (scary place. wouldn't recommend it.)

It's all charcoal and gesso on canvas. If you don't put fixative on an underdrawing in nice soft charcoal, it gives you the most wonderful soft grey-to-black lines and shadows- something I've often enjoyed, but never used quite as much as this time.

I'd been wanting to do this one for a while anyways, and been scared of it- rightfully so. It's a fossil thing I got at a First Friday a while back, a rounded black stone that had been split open to show this wonderful imprint of an old spiral type shell..... love them anyways, and I've got an additional fondness for fossils, but so far I'd only smiled at it and petted it (yes, I'm serious), not tried to make a painting subject out of it. Well, I don't think it's too bad for a first attempt!

Other than that, well... it's Thursday night. So tomorrow is Friday, and then it's the weekend. Smiles, everyone!

#172

No comments:

Post a Comment